The History of
Trinity United Methodist Church
The first Methodist church in the Dungeness Valley was built in 1889 with 11 members. In 1895, because of a shift in population, the church moved to Sequim and became the Methodist Community Church. The original framework was dismantled and taken to Sequim along with the church bell, which came by ship around the horn. The bell is on display inside our current building.
In 1898, our first church in Sequim numbered 36 members and was the only church in town. The social life of the community centered on the church and by 1925 the building located on Sequim Avenue became too small. Even though a split in the church took place, the Methodists were determined to go ahead with new building plans: So seven families mortgaged their homes and farms to finance the construction.
The cornerstone of the new Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church was laid on March 13, 1929 on the same Sequim Avenue site. In 1968, the name of our church was changed to Trinity United Methodist Church. The 1970’s and 1980‘s saw a growth in the population in the Dungeness Valley, and again the congregation responded with a decision to build a larger church. On December 1, 1991, the first service was celebrated at our current location on Blake Avenue. Sanctuary furnishings include memorial pieces from our Sequim Avenue church including stained glass windows with nameplates which were gifts to the church. The rose window above the altar was designed by artist Nels Lofgren. The beautiful Intarsia doors leading to the sanctuary were handcrafted by G.C. (Mac) and Evelyn McDaniel.
These beautiful Intarsia doors leading to the sanctuary were handcrafted by G.C. (Mac) and Evelyn McDaniel.